We’re recruiting for a new eco travel officer for Wokingham
My Journey is a behaviour change campaign aimed at promoting active and sustainable travel across Wokingham Borough. The main objectives of My Journey focus on addressing the issues of climate change, congestion and air quality which result from single occupancy car travel, as well as promoting the associated benefits of active travel on health and well-being.
Intelligent Health is working with Wokingham Borough Council to build on My Journey with the aim of creating a sustained shift in behaviour towards active travel.
Wokingham Borough Council has been awarded funding by the Department of the Environment Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA) to deliver an air quality programme in the borough. This project has already commenced, and we are looking for the right candidate to build on the work that has been started, ensuring we are meeting the deliverables for the funder. The Eco-Travel Officer will work closely with the My Journey Team and Wokingham Borough Council to deliver active travel promotion and activities with the aim of achieving a reduction in car travel in favour of active travel and to achieve long term behavioural change.
- Work with schools within the Wokingham Town, Finchampstead and Twyford areas to promote and deliver the benefits of active and sustainable travel, with a particular focus on air pollution, air quality and climate change.
- To work intensively with six identified target schools within the above areas, to achieve Modeshift STARs accreditation at bronze, silver or gold level, as appropriate for the school.
- To deliver active and sustainable travel activities in 10 schools in the target area, with a more intensive focus on the six schools selected for Modeshift STARs accreditation. These activities may include, but are not limited to, an active travel breakfast, balance bike/scooter training, cycle maintenance, delivery of assemblies and running relevant competitions.
- To build on the delivery of world car free day, and the anti-idling campaign. Beat the Street should also be promoted to schools that the Eco-Travel Officer works with, although Intelligent Health will take the lead on the delivery of this competition.
- Continue providing the 6 identified schools with air quality monitoring equipment each month. The results of monitoring should be fed back to the schools, the children and the parents at the end of the year.
- To complete detailed session plans and resources for one KS2 group in each of the six target schools around air quality, travel and health.
- To support the wider My Journey and Air Quality teams in the delivery of community events and the promotion of relevant activities. This will mainly be during the school holidays and occasional weekend working.
- To provide regular social media posts on the My Journey Facebook and Twitter pages to raise awareness of air pollution and climate change in relation to travel and health.
- To provide regular social media posts on the My Journey Facebook and Twitter pages to promote the work and achievements of the schools the Eco-Travel officer works with.
- To work closely with the Council’s My Journey, Air Quality, Climate Change Emergency and Public Health teams, to ensure a joined up approach in the delivery of materials and activities to schools.
- To provide and co-ordinate the provision of information around air quality, climate change and health in relation to active and sustainable travel for the purpose of a new My Journey website page.
Skills & Competencies
Knowledge and training
- Understanding and knowledge of the health, economic and other benefits of active and sustainable travel
- Good understanding and knowledge of regional and national sustainable transport policy
- Knowledge of the local area
- Excellent understanding of the barriers and challenges faced by schools and individuals to adopt active travel behaviours
- Understanding of air quality and the objectives
- National Standard Cycling Instructor trained (desirable)
- Knowledge and understanding of Modeshift STARS (desirable)
- Experience of engaging with schools and building up positive relationships with staff and pupils
- Experience of coordinating and delivering active travel and sustainable transport initiatives
- Experience of working with multi-agency partners on programme delivery
- Experience of creating sustainable project legacies
- Experience of preparing monitoring and progress reports
- Good organisation and prioritisation skills
- Presentation skills to a wide range of audiences
- Experience of delivering communications, social media and basic marketing
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Stakeholder management and diplomacy
- Microsoft office proficient
- Full driving license with access to own vehicle
We are looking for a candidate who will adopt the values of Intelligent Health; Honest, Passionate about Health, Reliable, Kind and Proactive.
The role will be based between the Intelligent Health offices and Wokingham Borough Council offices as well as a significant amount of time spent out in the community and with schools.
Reports to the Client and Programme Manager Jenny Cottrell.
Wokingham Borough Council
Intelligent Health Project Team
Annual leave: 23 days + Bank Holidays pro rata
Pension: 3% employer pension contribution
Contract length: until October 2022
Job Types: Full-time, Temporary, Contract
Salary: £25,000.00-£26,500.00 per year
- Flexible schedule
- Work from home
- Remote interview process